Alarm Permit Information:
- Anyone who installs or causes to be installed, an intrusion alarm in the City of San Rafael, shall first obtain permission from the Chief of Police by submitting an Alarm Permit Application.
- If Department personnel respond to an alarm at a location that does not have a current permit on file with the Police Chief, a fine may be charged.
- First and Second false alarms in a twelve month period (January - December): $0.00
- Third and subsequent false alarms in a twelve month period (January - December): $140.00
- There is an appeal process for false alarms which is to be found, as well as all information on alarms in the City of San Rafael Municipal Code.
- False alarms caused by error, malfunction or carelessness, either by the owner, the owner's family, guests, agents, employees, pets of the owner, or the alarm company, are considered preventable and are the responsibility of the owner. Alarms caused by power outages, extreme weather conditions or other conditions beyond the control of the property owners will not be counted as a false alarm. Nor will alarm owners be penalized if your alarm service company contacts the police department to cancel the alarm response prior to the arrival of an officer. All alarm users should know the proper procedures for canceling an alarm call with your alarm company.
Municipal Code Reference:
Complete the application below and mail to:San Rafael Police
Attention: Alarm Permits
P.O. BOX 151560
San Rafael, CA 94915-1560
As of October 2014, there is no fee for an alarm permit.
Alarm Desk Police Support Services (415) 485-3009